Arizona Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Share Button

According to the Insurance Research Council (IRC), 9-11% of Arizona drivers are not insured as of 2014.

What is an Uninsured Vehicle?

An uninsured vehicle is typically considered one of the following:

  • Vehicles that are not covered in a state that requires automobile insurance
  • Vehicles used in hit-and-run incidents, where the identity of the driver is unknown
  • Stolen vehicles

The burden of uninsured motorists is a growing concern as the costs associated with such an accident can be detrimental to the victims involved.  In Arizona, uninsured motorist coverage is not mandatory. Uninsured motorist insurance is part of an automobile insurance policy that covers the insurance policy holder from uninsured motorists and hit-and-run drivers. Uninsured motorist insurance is referred to as Arizona hit and run insurance.

In order to be thoroughly covered in the state of Arizona, an individual will need to have a minimum level of insurance. If he or she does not carry this much coverage, a motorist will be regarded as underinsured. In this case, uninsured motorist insurance should cover the disparity between the amount the driver at fault is able to pay, and how much is due.

What Happens in an Uninsured Motorist Vehicle Accident Case?

Seeking compensation from an Arizona uninsured motorist can be difficult. It’s hard to make a claim against a person with no insurance because typically they don’t possess enough assets to warrant litigation. However, you can make a claim against your insurance company to recover damages in the case of serious injury. Your insurance company will usually compensate you for the following expenses:

  • Loss of future earning power
  • Loss of wages
  • Physical and emotional pain, suffering and permanent injury
  • Medical expenses

You must ask the question; is driving around without Arizona uninsured motorist coverage worth the risk? If an uninsured motorist has injured you or a loved one please contact Friedl Richardson for a complimentary consultation at 602-553-2200.

Share Button

About the author

Thomas Richardson

Tommy Richardson, owner and president of the AV-Rated law firm of Friedl Richardson Trial Lawyers in Phoenix, focuses exclusively on personal injury and medical malpractice cases. Since 2009, Tommy has sat on the Board of Governors for Arizona Trial Lawyers and in 2011 was appointed by Governor Jan Brewer and confirmed by the Arizona Senate to the Maricopa Judicial Selection Committee. Tommy represents plaintiffs in trial work in Maricopa, Greenlee, Pima, Pinal, Mohave, Yuma, Apache, Gila, Cochise, La Paz, Coconino and Navajo counties. Tommy is the co-chair of the seminar committee for the Arizona Association for Justice/Arizona Trial Lawyers and is involved in the American Association for Justice and American Trial Lawyers.